[R] mlogit and model-based recursive partitioning

tudor tudor_bodea at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 1 23:53:28 CEST 2012

Hello:

Has anyone tried to model-based recursive partition (using mob from package
party; thanks Achim and colleagues) a data set based on a multinomial logit
model (using mlogit from package mlogit; thanks Yves)?

I attempted to do so, but there are at least two reasons why I could not.
First, in mob I am not quite sure that a model of class StatModel exists for
mlogit models.  Second, as mlogit uses the pipe character | to specify the
model, I wonder how this would interact with mob which uses pipe to
differentiate between explanatory and segmentation variables.

An example (not working) of what I would like to accomplish follows below.

Thanks a lot.

Tudor

library(party)
library(mlogit)
data("Fishing", package = "mlogit")
Fish <- mlogit.data(Fishing, varying = c(2:9), shape = "wide", choice =
"mode")
# FIT AN mlogit MODEL
m1 <- mlogit(mode ~ price + catch, data=Fish)
# THE DESIRED END RESULT:  SEGMENT m1 BASED ON INCOME AND/OR OTHER POSSIBLE
COVARIATES