[R] R process must die - can I save history?

Mike Miller mbmiller+l at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 19:17:16 CEST 2012

I connected from my desktop Linux box to a Linux server using ssh in an
xterm, but that xterm was running in Xvnc.  I'm running R on the server in
that xterm (over ssh).  Something went wrong with Xvnc that has caused it
to hang, probably this bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/vnc4/+bug/819473

So I can't get back to that ssh session or to R.  I had done a bunch of
work in R but the command history hasn't been written out.  If I kill R, I
assume the command history is gone.  I wish I could somehow cause R to
dump the command history.  Is there any way to tell the running R process
to write the history somewhere?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

--
Michael B. Miller, Ph.D.
Minnesota Center for Twin and Family Research