[R] convert multi dimensional array to list

anto.r anto.rajaa at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 15:54:29 CEST 2012

I have an 4D named array (the result of recast() on a dataframe) and would
like to convert it to a list with the names retained.

Example:
>my.df<-expand.grid(name=c("Alf","Que"), month=c("May","Jun"),
year=c("2011","2012"))
>my.df$tmax<-sample(15:20,4)
>my.df$tmin<-sample(10:15,4)
>my.df.melt=melt(my.df)
>my.df.cast=cast(my.df.melt, year~name~month~variable)

I want to convert it to a list so I can access the elements by name like
>my.df.cast$tmax$May
to get the corresponding year-name matrix

This assuming, lists provide an easier way to handle this data. Does it?
Also, may be there is a way to get the list I want from my.df without going
through the melt and cast.  Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance
Anto

PS: I came across threads for converting list to array but not the other way
round.