[R] Failure of sas7bdat package

Fisher Dennis fisher at plessthan.com
Thu Oct 4 17:55:09 CEST 2012

R 2.15.1
OS 10.7

Colleagues

I have been an enthusiastic user of the sas7bdat package in R.  However, several recent sas7bdat files sent to me from different sources cannot be read by the package.  The error message is:
	Error in read.sas7bdat(FILENAME) :
  unknown host W32_7PRO please report bugs to sas7bdatRbugs at gmail.com

I examined the file with a text editor and it contains
	9.0301M1W32_7PRO
in the second line.  An older file that works successfully with the package contains
	9.0101M3XP_PRO
in the same position.

Is this causing the failure?  Is this something easy to fix?  For the moment, I am using StatTransfer to convert the files.  StatTransfer has no problem with the newer files suggesting that the problem might be trivial.

I have contacted the package maintainer (matt.shotwell at vanderbilt.edu) twice without a response.

Dennis

Dennis Fisher MD
P < (The "P Less Than" Company)