[R] Sorting a data frame by specifying a vector

LCOG1 jroll at lcog.org
Thu Oct 11 19:08:33 CEST 2012

Hello all,
   I cannot seem to figure out this seemingly simple procedure.

I want to sort a data frame by a specified character vector.

So for :

df.. <- data.frame(Season=rep(c("Summer","Fall","Winter","Spring"),4),Obs=
runif(length(rep(c("Summer","Fall","Winter","Spring"),4))))

I want to sort the data frame by the seasons but in the order I specify
since alphapetically would not put the season in sequential order

I tried the following and a few other things but no dice.  It looks like I
will have to convert to factors.  Any thoughts?  Thanks

df.. <-
df..[sort(as.factor(Df..$Season,levels=c("Summer","Fall","Winter","Spring"))),]

Josh