[R] sas7bdat package running very slowly

Helen Jenkins jenkins.helen at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 06:22:12 CEST 2012

Hi

I'm trying to use the sas7bdat package. It's working - I tried using
it for a very small file and it worked very quickly and imported the
data correctly. I then try it for a bigger file (315MB) and it takes
quite a long time, more than 10 minutes and still not done. So I
stopped it because from what I read, it shouldn't be taking this long.

Should it take this long for a file this size? If not, any ideas on
what might be wrong? The code I'm using is as follows:

library(sas7bdat)
memory.limit(size=4000)
out1<-read.sas7bdat("C:/South Africa/SAS_Datasets/labdata6.sas7bdat")

And I'm using R version 2.14.1.

Thanks
Helen