[R] Re-projecting geotiff

Filoche pmassicotte at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 18 15:52:36 CEST 2012

Dear R users,

I'm currently trying to re-project a geotiff in another coordinate system.
For instance, I have a tif image in UTM 19 zone which I would like to
reproject into UTM 18. I was wondering if it was possible in R.

Furthermore, I looked into 'rgdal' package, but I can't really find out if
I'm doing the right thing. So far, here is what I'm doing:

library(rgdal)
myTiff = 'L5014028_02819840617_B10.TIF'
a = readGDAL(myTiff)
aa = spTransform(a, CRS("+proj=utm +zone=18 +datum=WGS84"))

However, after few seconds, the memory is full and R crashes. I used other
proprietary tools to reproject and it takes only like 10 seconds to
reproject. Therefore, I suspect I'm not using the 'rgdal' package correctly.

Regards,
Phil