[R] Extracting results from Google Search

ECAMF eduardomarinho at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 15:33:28 CEST 2012

Dear list,

I have a long list of towns in Africa and would need to get their
geographical coordinates. The Google query [/TownName Country coordinates/]
works for most of the TownNames I have and give a nicely formatted Google
output (try Ingall Niger coordinates for an example). I would like to launch
a loop on the list of names I have and automatically extract the coordinates
given by Google. Does anyone knows how it can be done?

ex.
DB<-data.frame(town=c('Ingall', 'Dogondoutchi', 'Tera'),
country=rep('Niger',3))
# Get lat and lon from the Google search on :
for (i in 1:3)   {
      paste(DB$town[i], DB$country[i], 'coordinates',  sep="")
}

Many thanks!

Eduardo.