[R] Creating a polygon from an unordered set of points

peleve pitiur at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 19:50:00 CEST 2012

Hello,

I have the contour of the shoreline of a lake.  I have measured data points
away from the lake shore signifying a particular depth.  The data is not
ordered as a polygon and hence trying to draw it creates a series of lines
all over the place. I would like to turn the points into a ordered set that
results in a smooth polygon.
I have tried a "nearest point" approach.  An example is shown here:
http://www.deepcreekanswers.com/samples/sampledata.png.
I've tried a closest perpendicular distance to the shoreline polygon
elements approach.  But it's worse.

Does anyone have an approach that might work?

Thank you a priori.

Pete Versteegen