[R] rJava Out of Memory Error

scoyoc scoyoc at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 16:51:03 CET 2012

I'm running XLConnect 0.2-1 that depends on rJava 0.9-3. I am only able to
work with 2 workbooks before I get this error...

> SppRich = wb["SpeciesRichness"]     # This command calls an Excel
> spreadsheet
Error: OutOfMemoryError (Java): GC overhead limit exceeded

I have tried...

> rm(list = ls())

... to clear the workspace, but it doesn't help. I am using RStudio 0.96.331
to run R 2.15.1 on a 64-bit Windows platform. Is there a command to dump the
memory used by rJava? I have been re-starting RStudio every 15-min ro so to
continue working. It's a little annoying.

Thanks,
MVS