[R] kmeans cluster analysis. How do I (1) determine probability of cluster membership (2) determine cluster membership for a new subject

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Tue Oct 2 19:59:51 CEST 2012

John,

On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 11:35:12 -0400 John Sorkin
<jsorkin at grecc.umaryland.edu> wrote:

> Window XP
> R 2.15
>
> I am running a cluster analysis in which I ask for three clusters (see code below). The analysis nicely tells me what cluster each of the subjects in my input dataset belongs to. I would like two pieces of information
> (1) for every subject in my input data set, what is the probability of the subject belonging to each of the three cluster

K-means provides hard clustering, whatever cluster has closest mean
gets the assignment.

> (2) given a new subject, someone who was not in my original dataset, how can I determine their cluster assignment?

Look at the distance between the subject the cluster means: the one
that is closest gets assigned the cluster.

If you are looking for probabilistic clustering (under Gaussian
mixture model assumptions), you could use model-based clustering: one R
package is mclust.

Btw, note that kmeans is very sensitive to initialization (as is
mclust): you may want to try several random starts (for kmeans),
at the very least. Use the argument "nstart" with a huge number.

HTH,
Ranjan