[R] Having two different versions of a package in the same R installation

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Oct 2 22:50:31 CEST 2012

On 02/10/2012 21:38, Søren Højsgaard wrote:
> I don't know if it would work but a kludgy attempt would be to install lme4 from CRAN, rename the lme4 directory in library to lme4cran; then install lme4 from R-forge and rename the lme4 directory to lme4forge. Then create a script flexible script that would copy one of the directories to a directory called lme4 on the fly. I don't know if it would work, but I just wonder if there would possibly a more elegant way.

Do you want them installed or loaded?

For installation, simply use different library directories, and adjust
.libPaths.

You won't succeed in loading them together: the insuperable problem is
not the R functions (they could be in different environments) but the
DLLs (you can only load one DLL of a given name).

We've been here with versioned installs, which were abandoned a long
while ago (not least as we never had versioned namespaces).