[R] Having two different versions of a package in the same R installation

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 22:53:27 CEST 2012

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 4:18 PM, Søren Højsgaard <sorenh at math.aau.dk> wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I am making some comparisons of two versions of the lme4 package: The CRAN version and the R-Forge version. For the moment I have two different R installations, each with a different version of lme4. However it would be convenient if I could have the same version within the same R installation such that I can run a code chunk on one lme4 version and immediately after run the same code chunk on another lme4 version. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Install the two versions into two different R libraries:

install.packages("my.package", repos = ..., lib = ...) # 1st repo/lib
install.packages("my.package", repos = ..., lib = ...) # 2nd repo/lib

library(my.package, lib.loc = ...) # 1st lib
# use it
detach(my.package, unload = TRUE)
# next line may or may not be needed
library.dynam.unload("my.package", system.file(package = "my.package"))
library(my.package, lib.loc = ...) # 2nd lib

--
Statistics & Software Consulting
GKX Group, GKX Associates Inc.
email: ggrothendieck at gmail.com