[R] nlme: spatial autocorrelation on a sphere

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at structuremonitoring.com
Thu Oct 4 02:04:14 CEST 2012

Hi, Dan:

       That's great.

       Do you have a package that would be a reasonable home for this
solution?  If yes, I would encourage you to add functions similar to
those described by Malcolm Fairbrother.  If it were mine, I think I
might prefer to call rdist.earth directly rather than make a local copy,
and name the new functions something like corStruct.earth, gls.earth,
and lme.earth.  (If you haven't done this before but are willing to try,
you may want to look at the two "contributed" documents on "Creating R
Packages" on CRAN.)

       I've also had moderate luck writing to the maintainer of another
contributed package that might logically accept things like this and
offering to do the work if they would consider such a friendly addition
to their package.  Some have said, "yes". When that happened, I felt the
addition would likely be more likely to reach its target audience -- and
not contribute another package to be kept separate on CRAN.  When
they've said, "no", I've created another package.

       Thanks for pursuing this issue and publicizing the solution you
found.
       Spencer