[R] How to limit memory on a server

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Oct 4 11:21:42 CEST 2012

On 04/10/2012 10:07, Hervy Cyril wrote:

> I think R keeps all the data in RAM ? The function memory.limit() refers to the RAM size ?
> I will try to configure the OS.

You are still confused.  No, memory.limit() refers to virtual memory,
and a process on a tolerably recent OS does not even know if VM is
mapped or not without using OS-specific system calls (which R does not).

?memory.limit talks about 'obtainable memory', not RAM.

Because Windows manages VM poorly, R for Windows is set up to try to
keep its VM usage less than an amount that is likely to be mapped at
once.  But you can alter that, and with a fast SSD it may be worthwhile
to do so.

It is not even true that 'R keeps all the data in' *memory*: that's the
point of lazy-loading.  R objects in packages (including most of R
itself) are kept on disc databases until actually used.