[R] Failed installWithVers from local tar.gz

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Oct 4 11:30:57 CEST 2012

On 03/10/2012 20:42, kkarr wrote:
> Hi,
> I am having trouble installing a previous version of a package, and multiple
> version of the package in R 2.12 or 2.15.  I have download the  tar.gz
> packages from the CRAN archive, and created an folder holding all the files.
>
> install.packages("changepoint_0.3.tar.gz",
> lib="~/Rtools/dir/of/pkgs/",
> repos=NULL,
> dependencies=FALSE,
> contriburl="~/Rtools/dir/of/pkgs/changepoint_0.3.tar.gz",
> installWithVers= TRUE)

installWithVers was made obsolete years ago.  And you really do not want
to install to the directory containing the tarballs.

> I have received several different errors, depending on which version of R I
> am using
> Version 2.12:

This list does not support ancient versions of R (and as the posting
guide says, there was no '2.12').  Please update as you were asked to do
before posting.

> warning: unable to access index for repository
> 'lib = "~/Documents/Rtools/dir/of/pkgs/"' is not writable

Whatever instructions you are following are misleading you.  Use the
official manuals instead.