[R] Ops.factor(point1, point2) : - not meaningful for factors

Rui Barradas ruipbarradas at sapo.pt
Thu Oct 4 12:56:23 CEST 2012

Hello,

First of all, it's not a good idea to use  'dist' and 'diff' since they
already are names of R functions.
As for the problem, your column DSi$Si is not a column of 2-dim points,
it's not even a vector of numbers, it's a categorical variable,  a
factor, like you can see in the output of str(). See the difference with
an example, using your first two "points".

mydist <- function (point1, point2){
     dff <- point1 - point2
     distance <- sqrt(sum(dff^2))
     distance
}

x <- c(5, 20)  # these are vectors representing
y <- c(20, 2)  # 2-dim points

dist(matrix(c(x, y), ncol=2))
mydist(x, y)

Also, it's better to post data using ?dput().

Hope this helps,

Rui Barradas