[R] RGL package surface plot

S Ellison S.Ellison at LGCGroup.com
Wed Oct 10 11:39:13 CEST 2012

> I'm completely new at R... I have sinkhole survey data (lat, long, and
> elevation) and have been trying to plot a rotatable 3d plot
> for several hours... cannot get it right.

You can use loess and predict.loess to generate a fitted 3d surface that can be plotted using contour() and similar.

However, given the environmental nature of your problem, you might also look at the geoR package, which implements kriging, one of the more comon fitting methods for environmental data. There's a discussion of using that for prediction of a grid and a subsequent (base graphics) 3-D plot at http://streaming.stat.iastate.edu/~stat506/notes/ordkrigeexamp.pdf

S Ellison