[R] Converting factors to bounded random numerical data

KoopaTrooper ncooper1 at tulane.edu
Thu Oct 11 02:36:13 CEST 2012

I have a data set (a) with three columns (X,Y,Z). The first 2 columns are
numeric. The third (Z) is a factor with three levels A,B,C. I want to turn
each A into a different random number between 1 and 4, each B into a
different random number between 5 and 8, etc.

I tried this:

a$Z<-ifelse(a$Z=="L",sample(1:4,1),ifelse(a$Z=="M",sample(5:9,1),ifelse(a$Z=="U",sample(10:12,1),"")

and it almost worked but changed all the "A's" into the same random number.
I need a different random number for each A. Ideas?

Thanks,