[R] dotplot in ".R" with lattice & latticeExtra: proper visualization

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu Oct 11 17:38:14 CEST 2012

On Oct 11, 2012, at 6:48 AM, Andres LaCortadora wrote:

> Dear everyone,
>
> I'm trying to do a dotplot with the libraries "lattice" and "latticeExtra".
> However, no proper representation of the values on the vertical y-axis is
> done by ".R". Instead of choosing the actual values of the numeric variable,
> ".R" plots the rank of the value. That is, there are values [375, 500, 625,
> 750, ..., 3000] and ".R" plots their ranks [1,2,3,4,...23] and chooses the
> scale accordingly. Has someone experienced a problem like this? How can I
> manage the get a proper representation with ticks like (0, 500, 1000, 1500,
> ...) on the vertical y-scale?

I suspect it will be difficult with dotplot. It is expecting a factor variable for the y-value and appears to be coercing the LHS argument to one. Why not use xyplot if you are plotting numeric by numeric? If you what to add horizontal lines `ala` dotplot you could construct a panel that had the appropriate commands.
--
David.

> Here's my data:
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/egy25cj00rhum40/data.csv
>
> And here the program code so far:
>
> df.dose <- read.table("data.csv", sep=",", header=TRUE)
> library(lattice); library(latticeExtra)
>
> useOuterStrips(dotplot(z ~ sample.size |
> as.factor(effect.size)*as.factor(true.dose),
> 		       groups=as.factor(type), data=df.dose, as.table=TRUE))
>
> I'd be glad for any kind of help!
> Andres

David Winsemius, MD
Alameda, CA, USA