[R] fit a "threshold" function with nls

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Mon Oct 15 22:21:16 CEST 2012

Véronique:

I've cc'ed this to a true expert (Ravi Varadhan) who is one of those
who can give you a definitive response, but I **believe** the problem
is that threshhold type function fits have  objective functions whose
derivatives are discontinuous,and hence gradient -based methods can
run into the sorts of problems that you see.

**If** this is so, then you might do better using an explicit
non-gradient optimizer = rss minimizer via one of the optim() suite of
functions (maybe even the default Nelder-Mead); but this is definitely
where the counsel of an expert would be valuable. Also check out the
CRAN Optimization Task View for advice on optimization options.

Cheers,
Bert