[R] Windows 7 R (32/64bit) running under cygwin: package not found

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 21:38:44 CEST 2012

On 16/10/2012 3:02 PM, Aldi Kraja wrote:
> Thank you all including Bert,
>
> In my opinion the library() when is working in cygwin env., does not
> check the additional libraries, where R installed the additional packages.
>
> So the solution for this problem was to define manually in my programs
> where is located the library of additional packages:
> (although I was expecting library() itself to know about the additional
> packages
>
> library('rgenoud',lib.loc='C:/Users/aldi/Documents/R/win-library/2.15')
> This solved the problem. Now R works again in cygwin. :-)

Windows defines various environment variables to set a user's home
directory, and Cygwin sets different ones.  R assumes the user library
is in there.  I forget which variable to look in, but for you, Windows
thinks your home directory is C:/Users/aldi, and Cygwin probably thinks
it is something like C:/cygwin/home/aldi.

You can override this by setting the R_LIBS_USER variable in Cygwin to
C:/Users/aldi/Documents/R/win-library/2.15 before you start R; then
things should be fine.

Duncan Murdoch