[R] Moving a file from one location to another

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Oct 17 16:53:15 CEST 2012

On 17/10/2012 13:59, Berend Hasselman wrote:

> On 17-10-2012, at 13:53, Rui Barradas wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> On Windows this should be the old DOS command RENAME (or REN) and apparently the R function ?file.rename carries it's name.
>>

> If I'm reading the help for file.rename correctly it can't move a file from one directory to another on Windows ("On Windows,file.rename nowadays works across volumes for files but not directories.". If I remember correctly one will have to use system() and the command move.

You are not.

On Windows, file.rename() can move a normal file from one directory to
another, even to a directory on another volume.

What it cannot do is move a directory from a directory on one file
system (volume in Windows' parlance) to a directory on another.

Basically no program can really move files between file systems, but
some OSes have an atomic copy-and-delete operation and others (including
recent versions of Windows) emulate the move by copying and then
deleting, but not recursively and so only for normal files.

It is hard to write precise documentation where on a POSIX file system a
directory is a file and on a Windows file system it is not.  And you can
have either type of file system on either a POSIX OS or Windows.