[R] Help with

Rui Barradas ruipbarradas at sapo.pt
Thu Oct 18 15:14:17 CEST 2012

Hello,

It's much easier than you think, the first two columns of the input
matrix are the row and column numbers into the output matrix, therefore
those columns form an index matrix. Just see:

x <- scan(text="
1 1 3
1 2 54
1 3 11
1 4 17
2 1 5
2 4 78
2 5 20
")

mat <- matrix(x, ncol = 3, byrow=TRUE)

result <- matrix(0, max(mat[, 1]), max(mat[, 2]))
result[ mat[, 1:2] ] <- mat[, 3]

Easy, no?

Hope this helps,

Rui Barradas