[R] WGCNA: Combining block-wise dendrograms and modules into a single figure

Peter Langfelder peter.langfelder at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 19:17:35 CEST 2012

Hi Derek,

the simple answer is that the block-specific dendrograms cannot be
meaningfully combined into a single dendrogram. You have to plot them
separately. You can create a multi-panel figure that shows all block
dendrograms in one big figure, although with 10 blocks I would not
necessarily attempt it.

One comment that does not quite relate to your question but may still
be relevant is that you seem to have too many blocks. Unless you have
a really old computer with 1GB RAM or less, the block size you used is
likely too small. (The tutorial uses a small block size to illustrate
the approach.)  If you have 4GB RAM, try maxBlockSize = 8000. If you
have 8GB, you can try maxBlockSize about 12000.  You will get fewer
blocks and most likely a better clustering/modules.

Best,

Peter