[R] Upper limit in nlsLM not working as expected

Martin Hehn Martin.Hehn at postgrad.manchester.ac.uk
Fri Oct 19 12:18:53 CEST 2012

Thanks for the reply Berend,

I am aware that I do not have to define the limits to Inf or -Inf, I just did this
to make sure all other variables (besides 'w') in 'upper' have no limits.

I can tolerate no upper limit as my peak is fitted well, but my actual data is a time series where the peak disappears from time to time. Once disappeared, the algorithm is still fitting to the noise of the experimental dataset.

I thought that it would be handy to suppress this by simply specifying a limit for how wide I allow the peak to be as it becomes very broad when fitting to noise. Any ideas on how to avoid fitting to the noise?

Regards