[R] Optimization in R similar to MS Excel Solver

Thomas Schu th.schumann at gmx.de
Sun Oct 21 13:37:52 CEST 2012

Dear Richard,

It is funny. I have to perform the approach of sediment fingerprinting for
my master thesis. Mr. Hasselman gave me the advice to take a closer look
into the limSolve package a few days ago.
http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/limSolve/index.html

I guess, the lsei-function of this package is exactly what  you and i are
looking for. I have tried it out today and compared the lsei-results with
the results of the MS-Excel solver. They are the same!
You will find in the manual (Chemtax example), how to define the
constraints, that every unknown is >= 0 and the sum of unknowns is always 1.
http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/limSolve/limSolve.pdf

Try to get familiar with the lsei-function and if you still need help, i can
send you my code.

Bearing the Monte-Carlo simulation in mind, the package could offer some
nice functions too.

Have a nice day and best regards
Thomas