[R] creating a function using for if

Sarah Goslee sarah.goslee at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 17:01:51 CEST 2012

N=as.vector()

This doesn't mean anything in R: you can read the help using
?as.vector
to see what the required arguments are.

Do you want to loop over the elements of data? That's not what your
loop is doing. Instead it is looping over each element of the sequence
from the min to the max *value* of data. It isn't actually doing
anything with data (which btw is a bad thing to call your data, since
it's also the name of a function, and really not very descriptive),
just extracting the min and max and ignoring the actual values.

Your loop is also only returning a single value. Presumably what you want is
N <- rep(NA, lengthofdesiredresult) # I'm not sure what that is
and to actually index N within the loop, ie
N[i] <- somevalue

You did a good job of providing fake data, thank you.  But you also
need to tell us what your expected result is, since it isn't clear
from your code which parts are misunderstandings and which are
intentional.

Sarah

--
Sarah Goslee