[R] Remove records from a large dataframe

arun smartpink111 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 22 15:01:57 CEST 2012

Hi,
You can also use ?merge()
dat$ind_dat<-TRUE
bad$ind_bad<-TRUE
res<-merge(dat,bad,all=TRUE)
 res1<-res[is.na(res$ind_bad),][,1:3]
 res1
#   id year   age
#5   2    2 Adult
#6   2    2  <NA>
#7   2    3  <NA>
#8   2    2  <NA>
#9   2    2 Adult
#10  3    2  <NA>
#11  3    3 Adult
#12  3    4  <NA>
A.K.

----- Original Message -----
From: penguins <catrsw at bas.ac.uk>
To: r-help at r-project.org
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2012 7:04 AM
Subject: [R] Remove records from a large dataframe

Hi, I am trying to remove a series of records from a large dataframe. The
script I have written works fine but takes a long time to run. Can anyone
suggest a quicker way to do this?

Here is an example of the code I've written. The end result of this bit of
code would be a dataframe with any records relating to ID 1 or ID 4 removed:

#dataframe
id <-     c(1,1,1,1,2,2,2,2,2, 3,3,3, 4,4)
year <- c(1,1,1,2, 2,2,3,2,2, 2,3,4, 8,8)
age <-  c("Adult",NA,NA,NA, "Adult",NA,NA,NA, "Adult",
         NA,"Adult",NA, NA,"Adult")
dat <- data.frame(id, year, age)
dat.id<-unique(dat$id)

#ID numbers for removal
bad<- data.frame(c(1,4))
names(bad)<-"id"
remove.value<-bad$id

good.id<- dat.id[!dat.id%in%remove.value]

#Combine all good ID numbers
if(exists("dat.2")){ rm(dat.2)}

for(i in good.id){
    lala<-dat[which(dat$id==i),]

     if(!exists("dat.2")) {
      dat.2 <- lala } else {
      dat.2 <- rbind(dat.2, lala)
      }
}

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions