[R] How Rcmdr or na.exclude blocks TukeyHSD

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Tue Oct 23 22:46:42 CEST 2012

Dear Bob,

I'll just add very briefly that I think that this isn't an Rcmdr problem, but more generally a problem with -- or limitation of --TukeyHSD(), which doesn't work properly when na.action=na.exclude.

The Rcmdr sets na.action=na.exclude so that it can correctly add observation statistics, such as residuals, to a data set in the presence of missing data. The Rcmdr restores the previous value of this option when it exits. I'm aware that you know all this, and just wanted to provide context.

Best,
 John

John Fox
Sen. William McMaster Prof. of Social Statistics
Department of Sociology
McMaster University
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
http://socserv.mcmaster.ca/jfox/