[R] Summary of variables with NA, empty

Lopez, Dan lopez235 at llnl.gov
Wed Oct 24 17:32:16 CEST 2012

The examples I gave--Null, Empty string, white space, etc where just examples based on SPSS Modeler's Data Audit node.

I just want something that both identifies the columns having missing values-- regardless of what they technically are stored as(NA or a field with space bar hit a couple of times,etc) -- and tabulates based on what type of missing value. This is a basic data exploration step that I thought just maybe comes standard in R and that I just don't know of yet.

Hmisc::describe is good and may have to suffice. "Missing" for the example below using Hmisc::describe was 0 although there was a "". And I know that's because of the technical difference.

#EXAMPLE data - just one column in this case
> dput(sample(mydata$COMMUTE_BIN,100))
structure(c(2L, 5L, 3L, 2L, 6L, 3L, 2L, 3L, 4L, 2L, 2L, 4L, 3L,
4L, 3L, 3L, 3L, 6L, 2L, 2L, 2L, 4L, 6L, 4L, 2L, 3L, 2L, 2L, 6L,
3L, 2L, 6L, 3L, 2L, 3L, 4L, 4L, 4L, 5L, 7L, 3L, 5L, 2L, 3L, 2L,
2L, 6L, 7L, 7L, 4L, 3L, 3L, 2L, 2L, 2L, 5L, 2L, 2L, 2L, 2L, 2L,
2L, 5L, 2L, 3L, 3L, 6L, 4L, 6L, 2L, 7L, 4L, 6L, 2L, 3L, 2L, 2L,
2L, 3L, 2L, 3L, 4L, 3L, 5L, 3L, 4L, 2L, 3L, 3L, 3L, 3L, 3L, 2L,
4L, 5L, 3L, 2L, 2L, 3L, 1L), .Label = c("", "<15", "15 - 24",
"25 - 34", "35 - 44", "45 - 54", "55+"), class = "factor")

As David mentioned maybe I will have to create my own function. Maybe something similar to what I got here for identifying a factor columns, column labels and number of levels.
#EXAMPLE of formula I will probably need to create for identifying and listing column names and counts of NA and "" and other "missing" in a dataframe or table. In this case however I am listing factor columns and excluding columns w/ >32 levels
set.seed(1)
dat1<- data.frame(col1=factor(sample(1:25,10,replace=TRUE)),col2=sample(letters[1:10],10,replace=TRUE),col3=factor(rep(1:5,each=2)))
PrintLvls2 <- function(x) {print(data.frame(Lvls=sapply(x[sapply(x,function(x) is.factor(x)&&length(levels(x))<=32)],nlevels),
			                                      Names=sapply(x[sapply(x, function(x) is.factor(x)&&length(levels(x))<=32)],
	                                                                     function(y) paste0(levels(y), collapse=", "))), right=FALSE)}
> PrintLvls2(dat1)
     Lvls Names
col1 9    2, 6, 7, 10, 15, 16, 17, 23, 24
col2 7    b, c, d, e, g, h, j
col3 5    1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Thanks.
Dan