[R] daylight

Greg Snow 538280 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 19:57:10 CEST 2012

Do you care about local topography/terrain?  I think most of the
calculators/tables that are commonly used assume that you are at a
fairly flat place on the earth's surface, but that is not always true.
 The area where my wife grew up had its longest day closer to the
equinox than the summer solstice and if I wanted to calculate the
number of hours that direct sunlight would hit solar panels (which I
don't have yet) on my house or the solar oven (which I do have) in my
back yard, then assuming sunset and sunrise occurred at 90 degrees
from vertical would definitely overestimate the time.