[R] how to make simulation faster

R. Michael Weylandt michael.weylandt at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 09:11:50 CEST 2012

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 4:23 AM, stats12 <skarmv at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear R users,
>
> I need to run 1000 simulations to find maximum likelihood estimates.  I
> print my output as a vector. However, it is taking too long. I am running 50
> simulations at a time and it is taking me 30 minutes. Once I tried to run
> 200 simulations at once, after 2 hours I stopped it and saw that only about
> 40 of them are simulated in those 2 hours. Is there any way to make my
> simulations faster? (I can post my code if needed, I'm just looking for
> general ideas here). Thank you in advance.

Code would be nice: I struggle to think of an basic MLE fitting that
would take ~36s per iteration and scale so badly if you are writing
idiomatic R:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5963269/how-to-make-a-great-r-reproducible-example

Finally, I note you're posting from Nabble. Please include context in
your reply -- I don't believe Nabble does this automatically, so
you'll need to manually include it. Most of the regular respondents on
this list don't use Nabble -- it is a _mailing list_ after all -- so
we don't get the forum view you do, only emails of the individual
posts. Combine that with the high volume of posts, and it's quite
difficult to trace a discussion if we all don't make sure to include
context.

RMW