[R] Problems plotting a sparse time series in R

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Mon Oct 29 16:36:35 CET 2012

On Oct 29, 2012, at 8:14 AM, Alexander Engelhardt wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I am logging data about my body (weight, body fat, blood
> pressure, ..) in a .csv file and would like to plot this as a time
> series. I uploaded the (noisified) .csv, you can see the link in the
> code I have so far (you can run the code directly as-is):
>
>    df.raw <- read.csv("http://www.chaotic-neutral.de/temp/stats-noised.csv
> ", sep=";", dec=".")
>    date <- as.Date(df.raw[,1])
>    comments <- df.raw[,2]
>    stats <- df.raw[,-c(1,2)]
>
>    ################################################################
>    #### timeSeries
>    library(timeSeries)
>    ts <- timeSeries(charvec=date, data=stats)
>    plot(ts)
>
>    ################################################################
>    #### zoo
>    library(zoo)
>    ts <- zoo(stats, date)
>    plot(ts)

If you instead use this:

ts <- zoo(stats, date)
plot(ts, type="p")

You may get a better idea why your other panels in plot.zoo are emply.
Y\In them you have no adjacent points that are not missing. R plotting
routines generally break aa line plot at a missing value rather than
drawing a line through missing data.

--

David.