[R] Call for contribution: the RDataMining package - an R package for data mining

Yanchang Zhao yanchangzhao at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 12:52:52 CEST 2012

Join the RDataMining project to build a comprehensive R package for data mining
http://www.rdatamining.com/package

We have started the RDataMining project on R-Forge to build an R
package for data mining. The package will provide various
functionalities for data mining, with contributions from many R users.
If you have developed or will implement any data mining algorithms in
R, please participate in the project to make your work available to R
users worldwide.

Background
==========
Although there are many R packages for various data mining
functionalities, there are many more new algorithms designed and
published every year, without any R implementations for them. It is
far beyond the capability of a single team, even several teams, to
build packages for oncoming new data mining algorithms. On the other
hand, many R users developed their own implementations of new data
mining algorithms, but unfortunately, used for their own work only,
without sharing with other R users. The reason could be that they
donot know or donot have time to build packages to share their code,
or they might think that it is not worth building a package with only
one or two functions.

Objective
=========
To forester the development of data mining capability in R and
facilitate sharing of data mining codes/functions/algorithms among R
users, we started this project on R-Forge to collaboratively build an
R package for data mining, with contributions from many R users,
including ourselves.

How it works
=====================
The project works in a way similar to an edited book. We, as
organizers, send out call for participation and solicit R users to
join this project and contribute their implemented functions and
algorithms. The contributed functions will build up and make a
package.

Function authors will be responsible for the development, maintenance
and documentation of their contributed functions. We will put all
functions together as one package and also make a manual for the
package.

Function authors will be acknowledged as authors of corresponding
functions in help documentation and manual of the package. We, as the
organizers of the package, will be shown as the manager/maintainer of
the whole package.

It's free to join or quit the project at any time, and authors can
withdraw their contributed functions at any time.

Links
=====
The RDataMining package and project: http://www.rdatamining.com/package
The RDataMining project on R-Forge:  http://package.rdatamining.com or
                     http://r-forge.r-project.org/projects/rdatamining/

Contact
=======
Yanchang Zhao <yanchang at rdatamining.com>

Join the RDataMining Project, and we will work together to build a
comprehensive R package for data mining.

Regards
Yanchang Zhao
PhD, Data Miner
Email: yanchangzhao at gmail.com