[R] Detrended Fluctuation Analysis (fractal pkg) troubleshooting

semperparatus robe0899 at umn.edu
Tue Sep 11 20:54:48 CEST 2012

I'm working with the DFA (detrended fluctuation analysis) function in the
package fractal on postural sway data, and for the life of me can't get the
results to turn out as they should given what my data looks like.

 The data resemble a random walk, but the Hurst exponent estimates that I'm
getting at ~0.9 instead of ~1.4, which is the value a researcher I've been
working with who uses Matlab has been able to get and which makes more sense
as a valid outcome.

I've set my scale.order parameter to 1, in order to integrate the data
before performing DFA, and otherwise left the other parameters as default.

Anyone have experience with DFA in R either with this package or another?
I'd really appreciate any guidance on the subject.

-

Rachel
Graduate Student at University of MN,
Frantically trying to finish Masters Project in the next week or so.