[R] Parallel R

Bazman76 h_a_patience at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 14 19:00:32 CEST 2012

Hi there,

I have a largish optimisation problem (10 years of daily observations).

I want to optimise between 4 and 6 parameters.

I'd like to utilise parallel computing if I can as I will have to run it
with different starting values etc.

I have a quad core PC with 16GB ram running windows 7.

Having done  a little reading it seems the two best options for me are:

1.) Use the academic version of REvolution R enterprise which will let me
run the code in parallel on my own PC.

2.) Or install Unubtu and use Segue and Amazon EC2 (or some equivalent).

Just to get an idea how much faster is option 2 liable to be (given that its
slightly more difficult to set up).

Is it realistic to have a dual boot on my PC?

Thanks

Baz