[R] Mac Text editors

Steven Wolf wolfste4 at msu.edu
Thu Sep 27 02:48:28 CEST 2012

Hi everyone,

I've recently moved from using a windows machine to a Mac (some might call it an upgrade, others not…I'll let you be the judge).  Once I started using Notepad ++ on my windows machine, I really began to like it.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure what the free text editor options are for the Mac (Notepad ++ is windows only).  I've dabbled with Linux before and used Emacs/ESS there.  However, I seem to remember fighting pretty hard to make that work and the OSX file structure isn't that intuitive to me yet.  (For example, where is my .emacs file?)

What text editors are best for the Mac, keeping in mind that I'm probably going to use them via the command line interface (e.g. X11 or Terminal).

Thanks!
-Steve

Steven Wolf
Research Associate