[R] draw.key; getting grobWidth to respect fontfamily="mono"

Paul Murrell paul at stat.auckland.ac.nz
Mon Sep 10 04:26:21 CEST 2012

Hi

On 07/09/12 09:35, Benjamin Tyner wrote:
> Update: seems one way to skin this cat is to add
>
>    gp = gpar(fontfamily="mono")
>
> to the viewport() call itself. If anyone has any suggestions for a
> robust way to extract this piece information from the key grob itself
> (it's nested several levels deep), I'm all ears.

I'm going to try to blame 'lattice' for this problem (because it appears
to be generating "strwidth" units for the text entries in the key rather
than "grobwidth" units [so the 'gp' settings on the text grobs are being
ignored when widths are calculated]).  (Though 'lattice' is probably
doing that to avoid using packGrob() and being further slowed down by
'grid'!)

However, since you are already deep enough into 'grid' to be using
viewports and grobWidth() yourself, I suspect that you could get what
you want by avoiding draw.key() altogether.  You could generate a text
grob yourself (based on your 'GOFlist'), directly query it for its
width, build a viewport based on that width (similar to the viewport
that you are already creating), push the viewport and draw the grob.
Something like this ...

GOFgrob <- function(x) {
     textGrob(c(x$title, x$text$label),
              x=.5, y=unit(.5, "npc") + unit(1:-1, "lines"),
              gp=gpar(fontfamily=c("sans", "mono", "mono")))
}

plot <- xyplot(actual + forecast ~ yyyymm | cond,
                data = Data,
                layout = c(1,2),
                type = "l",
                panel = function(x,y,GOFlist,...){