[R] lowess regression

S Ellison S.Ellison at LGCGroup.com
Tue Sep 11 11:59:35 CEST 2012

> I am working on a biology-related project
> where I have a matrix of gene-to-gene interactions, (
> interactions * distances ) and depending on the basic R
> functions, I do get vary different results ...

Ermmm....
First, if I read the help pages correctly, the two base loess implementations have different defaults and use quite different calculations, so different results are very much to be expected.
Second, the brief description of the poblem made me twitch. What are your coordinates? A matrix of gene interactions _sounds_ like something that one should not put a smoother through; gene ID is usually categorical. To be sensible you'd need some continuous quantitative x- and y- coordinates.

S Ellison