[R] cex.lab ignored in plot.zoo for multiple plots

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 16:48:10 CEST 2012

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 11:06 AM, Nicolai Schneider
<rstatistics.user at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> a problem with the plot.zoo function. In the parameters of the function,
> cex.lab is ignored. I tried to reduce the size of the yaxis labels by at
> least 50%.
>
> ------------------
>
> Example:
>
> sample <- as.zoo(EuStockMarkets)
>
> par(las=1)
>
> plot.zoo(sample, plot.type="multiple", main="Time Series", xlab="Date",
> yaxt="n", cex.lab=0.5, xaxs="i")
> # Try playing with different values for cex.lab
>
> par(las=0)

Internally it uses mtext to write that text and mtext uses cex which
is already taken.  Here is a workaround:

library(proto)
p <- proto(plot.zoo = plot.zoo, mtext = function(...)
graphics::mtext(..., cex = .5))
with(p, plot.zoo)(sample)

--
Statistics & Software Consulting