[R] How to get curve information from a gam model

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Tue Sep 11 23:18:51 CEST 2012

On Sep 11, 2012, at 12:10 PM, exu wrote:

> Thanks for the response. But I'm relatively new to R, could you elaborate a bit? I tried
>
> P <-predict.gam(model,type=terms")
>
> But I'm having a hard time to trying to make sense of the resulting data.

And I'm having even greater difficulty because I cannot see any of it.

(My prediction: It gave you linear predictors at your original data points, since you did not give it a newdata argument and you only have one term.  I suspect that the chosen smoothing basis might have constructed a matrix output.)

The help page ?mgcv::predict.gam has worked examples. In fact the first example illustrated what I thought you would be attempting. Working through all the examples on a help page is a great way to learn a function's capabilities.

--
David.

> Regards,
>
> Eugene Xu