[R] .NAME in .Fortran

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Sep 12 10:27:33 CEST 2012

On 11/09/2012 13:09, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> On 12-09-10 9:21 PM, Peter Dunn wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> I've been getting some emails from the R package maintainers that I need
>> to update some code in a CRAN packge that uses FORTRAN, to comply with
>> (not so recent) changes.  I've been a little busy...
>>
>> I'm having trouble adjusting my code.  I hope someone can help.
>>
>> The package was working fine, and a few R functions in my package had
>> lines like this:
>>
>> tmp <- .Fortran( name="pdf", <other parameters here>)
>>
>> and similar.  The "pdf" is the name of the FORTRAN subroutine being
>> called, of course.
>>
>> When I replace that line with
>>
>> tmp <- .Fortran( .NAME="pdf", <other parameters here>)
>>

>> ...the package then does not pass the checks.  The library package builds
>> OK with no errors or warnings, and then during "R CMD check" the examples
>> give this error:
>>
>> out <- tweedie.profile( y~1, p.vec=seq(1.1, 1.9, length=9),
>> do.plot=TRUE)
>> 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 1.9
>> .Error in .Fortran(.NAME = "pdfun", as.double(power),
>> as.double(phi[i]/(y[i]^(2 -  :
>>    supplied argument name '.NAME' does not match 'name'
>> Calls: tweedie.profile -> dtweedie.inversion -> .Fortran
>> Execution halted
>>

>> I've had a search--including a read of the "Writing R Extensions" manual
>> on CRAN (I did read it, but interestingly a search of that document did
>> not reveal any instance of .NAME)--and I cannot see the problem.  It's
>> probably obvious.
>>
>> Any help appreciated, even pointers to more info.
>
> I suspect you are doing your checks with an old version, not with the
> one listed below.  The first argument was called "name" until R 2.13.0
> was released; at that point it was changed to ".NAME" (to prevent
> conflicts with something or other).  It seems someone forgot to note
> this in the NEWS file...

Actually, an incorrect check got re-activated by 2.15.1.  NEWS for
R-devel says

     • The functions .C(), .Call(), .External() and .Fortran() now check
       that they are called with an unnamed first argument: the formal
       arguments were changed from name= to .NAME= in R 2.13.0, but some
       packages were still using the old name.

> You can find which version did the checks by looking at the header in
> the 00check.log file created during the check.  You could also follow
> Rolf's advice and not name the first arg.

Actually the CRAN message explicitly asked Master Dunn to use an unnamed
first argument ....

Or even follow the advice of the ?.Fortran help page in R-patched/R-devel:

      These functions are all primitive, and ‘.NAME’ is always matched
      to the first argument supplied (which should not be named).  The
      other named arguments follow ‘...’ and so cannot be abbreviated.

The reason for that advice is that only unnamed first arguments will
work for all recent versions of R.

As the posting guide says

'f you are using an old version of R and think it does not work
properly, upgrade to the latest version and try that, before posting. If
possible, try the current R-patched or R-devel version of R (see the FAQ
for details), to see if the problem has already been addressed.'