[R] Creation of text files for use with UCODE_2005

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Fri Sep 14 18:38:53 CEST 2012

Have you looked at the sprintf function?  E.g.,

>  n <- 3.14 * 10^(0:4)
>  x <- state.name[35:39]
> cat(sprintf("N:%8.2f    STATE:%0.8s <eol>\n", n, x), sep="")
N:    3.14    STATE:Ohio <eol>
N:   31.40    STATE:Oklahoma <eol>
N:  314.00    STATE:Oregon <eol>
N: 3140.00    STATE:Pennsylv <eol>
N:31400.00    STATE:Rhode Is <eol>
> cat(sprintf("N:%-8.2f    STATE:%-8.8s <eol>\n", n, x), sep="")
N:3.14        STATE:Ohio     <eol>
N:31.40       STATE:Oklahoma <eol>
N:314.00      STATE:Oregon   <eol>
N:3140.00     STATE:Pennsylv <eol>
N:31400.00    STATE:Rhode Is <eol>
> cat(sprintf("N:%08.2f    STATE:%8.8s <eol>\n", n, x), sep="")
N:00003.14    STATE:    Ohio <eol>
N:00031.40    STATE:Oklahoma <eol>
N:00314.00    STATE:  Oregon <eol>
N:03140.00    STATE:Pennsylv <eol>
N:31400.00    STATE:Rhode Is <eol>

(View with a fixed-width font to see the spacing properly.)

Bill Dunlap
Spotfire, TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com