[R] $ operator is invalid for atomic vectors

mlell08 mlell08 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 21:15:11 CEST 2012

On 14.09.2012 22:16, Steve Lianoglou wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 2:33 PM, agrins <agrinde at d.umn.edu> wrote:
>> HI all-
>>
>> I have used this .fun in S+ without a problem however, in R when I run this
>> code to generate multiple graphs:
>>
>> trendplot<-function(datafr,dataf2, abbrev="", titlestr="",
>> devname="s",filen="",styr=1990,endyr=2012) {
>> if (!is.null(dev.list())) {dev.off()}
>>
>> dataf<-datafr[datafr$abbrev==abbrev,]                   #subset entire dataset with one
>> species at a time
>> dataf2sp<-dataf2[dataf2$abbrev==abbrev,]  etc...
>>
>> It returns  "Error in dataf2$abbrev : $ operator is invalid for atomic
>> vectors"
>>
>> Is there an easy fix for this error?
>
> I suspect you just have to ensure that the thing you are passing in to
> the `dataf2` parameter is in fact a data.frame -- the error you are
> getting suggests that it is currently not.
>
> Also -- have no fear for the space bar, it is your friend ;-)

Hello,

I had a similar problem and I found two solutions

1) Don't use the $ op on atomic vectors;-). Instead try:
       dataf2sp<-dataf2[dataf2["abbrev"]==abbrev,]

2) Make the vector a list. I don't know if there are side-Effects to
this, but perhaps it's just the anxiety of a Java-Programmer who isn't
used to the somewhat easy-going way R deals with classes:
       class(dataf2) <- "list"

Regards,
Moritz

--