[R] memory leak using XML readHTMLTable

J Toll jctoll at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 21:31:31 CEST 2012

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 12:51 PM, Yihui Xie <xie at yihui.name> wrote:
> I think the correct address for GIT should be
> git://github.com/omegahat/XML.git :) Or just
> https://github.com/omegahat/XML
>
> Regards,
> Yihui
> --
> Yihui Xie <xieyihui at gmail.com>
> Phone: 515-294-2465 Web: http://yihui.name
> Department of Statistics, Iowa State University
> 2215 Snedecor Hall, Ames, IA
>

> On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 11:16 AM, Duncan Temple Lang
> <duncan at wald.ucdavis.edu> wrote:
>> Hi James
>>
>>   Unfortunately, I am not certain if the "latest version"
>> of the XML package has the garbage collection activated for the nodes.
>> It is quite complicated and that feature was turned off in some versions
>> of the package.  I suggest that you install the version of the package on github
>>
>>   git at github-omg:omegahat/XML.git
>>
>> I believe that will handle the garbage collection of nodes, and I'd like
>> to know if it doesn't.
>>
>>    Best,
>>     D.

Hi,

Thanks for your response and I'm sorry, I should have been more
specific regarding the version of XML.  I'm using XML 3.9-4.

As a sort of follow-on question?  Is there a preferable way to install
this version of XML from github?  Do I have to use git to clone it, or
maybe use the install_github function from Hadley's devtools package?
I note that the README indicates that:

"This R package is not in the R package format in the github repository.
It was initially developed in 1999 and was intended for use in both
S-Plus and R and so requires a different structure for each."

So I was wondering what the general procedure is and whether there's
anything special I need to do to install it?  Thanks.

James