[R] Contradictory results between different heteroskedasticity tests

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Tue Sep 18 22:31:44 CEST 2012

Dear Carlos,

Please note that the default alternative hypothesis is different in
ncvTest() and bptest() -- in the former that the error variance is a
function of the expectation of Y (hence the formula ~ fitted.values, with 1
df for the test), and in the latter that the error variance is a function of
a linear combination of the predictors in the model (hence, in your case, 7
df for the test). For testing a different alternative hypothesis with
ncvTest(), see ?ncvTest.

I won't comment of what bptest() does with the weighted model, but ncvTest()
uses the Pearson residuals and hence takes account of the weights.

I hope this helps,
 John

John Fox
Senator McMaster Professor of Social Statistics
Department of Sociology
McMaster University
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada