[R] download truncating large files

Ian Shannon Ian.Shannon at environment.nsw.gov.au
Wed Sep 19 06:12:19 CEST 2012

Jim,

Thanks.

However that doesn't solve my problem.  I should have said my problem is finding the source of the error:- is it me?; or is it the local system here?; or is it a problem with R's internal download command.

I know that the package is being truncated because I did download it outside of R and compared the 2 files.  They were identical (byte for byte) up to the point of truncation.

If there is an R error then I am keen to report it as such. [[Note that first off I thought it was an error with the CRAN packages and reported it there only to be embarrassed when I subsequently proved that the package was good.]]  However if there is proxy server or firewall problems then I want to report it to the local service desk.  Just doing a work-around is not satisfactory in that some poor hapless person is also going to come a'cropper with this in the future.

Any pointers as how to proceed?  I am currently stumped because "download" is an internal command and I can't dive into it to trace the source the error.

Ian

Ian Shannon
Landscape Modelling and Decision Support Section
Office of Environment & Heritage
PO Box A290 Sydney South
NSW       1232
Phone: (02) 99 955 490
Mob:       0424 724 352
Please consider the environment before printing my email