[R] Wilcoxon Test and Mean Ratios

Ben Bolker bbolker at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 15:00:02 CEST 2012

Mohamed Radhouane Aniba <aradwen <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Thank you Thomas,
>
> So you think a t-test is more adequate to use in this case ?
>
> Rad

  No, because a t-test makes even stronger parametric assumptions.
You were given more specific advice on stackoverflow
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12499687/wilcoxon-test-and-mean-ratios
If you want to prove that there is *some* difference between the
distributions, you're done. If you want to test for some specific
difference, you need to think more about what kind of test you want
to do.  Permutation tests with various test statistics are a way
to approach that.

  Ben Bolker

> On Sep 19, 2012, at 8:43 PM, Thomas Lumley <tlumley <at> uw.edu> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 5:46 AM, Mohamed Radhouane Aniba
> > <aradwen <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hello All,
> >>
> >> I am writing to ask your opinion on how to interpret this case. I have two
vectors "a" and "b" that I am trying
> to compare.

  [snip]