[R] issue accessing help files

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 01:52:34 CEST 2012

On 12-09-20 6:58 PM, Basil Iannone wrote:
> Hi Duncan,
>
> The output I see after typing ?mean is
>
> starting httpd help server ... done
>
> Then the browser opens but goes nowhere. I just see a black IE page with no
> address in the address bar.
>
> OK. I tried what you suggested. I typed the following
>
> tools:::httpdPort
> [1] 17081
>
> I then pasted the following link into my IE address bar (replacing the
> 25567 with 17081).
>
> http://127.0.0.1:17081/library/base/html/mean.html
>
> Doing so took me to the page describing the mean.
>
> Thanks for the help. Please keep me posted as to if the above information
> helps you out. In the mean time I will access the files as you suggested.

That tells me that the server is running properly, but somehow IE isn't
getting the message that it should go to that page.

Could you try the same procedure (the port might be different next time,
better check), but instead of starting IE and pasting the URL there,
paste the URL into the Run box in the start menu?  That does something
pretty close to what R does.  If it fails the way R did, then the
problem is with IE, not with R; if that works, then likely the problem
is with something in R.

If it does show up as a problem in R, could you run the following:

setInternet2(NA) # reports the proxy setting
setInternet2(FALSE) # turns it off
?mean

I don't normally use a proxy.  When I turn it on, things are very slow,
but they still work.  (I assume the system looks for a proxy, then gives
up and runs the regular code.)  It could be something like that is
happening to you, or perhaps you are running a proxy, and it doesn't
know what to do with the local connection that R is asking for.

Duncan Murdoch